27 Mar 2021
How to prepare gregg's tangy lemon tart recipe.
- 500g plain flour,plus extra for dusting.
- 140g icing sugar.
- 250g unsalted butter,cubed.
- 4 egg yolks for filling.
- 5 eggs.
- 140g caster sugar.
- 150ml double cream.
- Juice 2-3 lemon(about 100ml/3.5fl oz) and 2 tablespoon lemon zest.
- Mix the flour and icing sugar in a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until crumbly.
- Mix in the egg yolks.
- If the pastry is still too dry,add 1-2 tablespoon of water until it comes together.
- Roll into a ball and divide in half(freeze one half for another recipe).
- Flatten out the pastry with your hands,wrap the dough in cling film,then chill for at least 30 minutes.
- While the pastry is chilling,make the filling.
- Beat all the ingredients except for the zest,together.sieve the mixture,then stir in the zest.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about the thickness of a £1 coin,then lift into a 23cm tart tin.
- Stab a few holes in the bottom with a fork and put back in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Line the tart with foil and fill with rice or dried beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes,then remove the tin from the oven,discord the foil,and brake for another 20 minutes until biscuity.
- When the pastry is ready,remove it from the oven,pour in the lemon mixture and bake again for 30-35 minutes until just set.
- Leave to cool,then remove the tart from the tin and serve at room temperature.